March 2017 Floods


If you have been affected by the flooding, the priority is to look after yourself, your family and friends and to make sure your house is safe and weather-tight.

You have up to three months from the date of the natural disaster to lodge a claim. 
You can make a claim by calling 0800 326 243 or complete the form here

Are you covered?

You must have a home or contents fire insurance policy with a private insurance company at the time the natural disaster damage occurred to make a claim with EQC.  Customers with home insurance will also receive EQC cover for certain land damage.

What EQC covers depends on how the damage occurred:
•    For storms and floods, EQC covers damage to residential land only, within certain limits (Private insurers cover house and contents damage, according to the terms of an individual’s policy). 
•    For natural landslip damage, EQC covers damage to home, contents and land, within certain limits.

What is covered?

EQC coverage of land is limited to land that is within your property boundary – and includes:
•    the land under your home and outbuildings (eg, shed or garage)
•    the land within eight (8) metres of your home and outbuildings
•    the land under or supporting your main accessway, from the boundary up to 60 metres from your home (but not the driveway surfacing).
EQC also provides some cover for:
•    bridges and culverts within the above areas, and
•    some retaining walls that are necessary to support the home, outbuildings or insured land.

For more information on what is and isn’t covered read our land cover page.

What’s not covered?

EQC doesn’t cover things on the land such as trees, plants, lawns and driveways. 

How much can EQC pay out?

EQCover pays the lesser of either:
•    the cost to repair the damaged land, or
•    the value of the damaged land, or the value of 4,000 square metres, or the value of the minimum-sized building site allowed in the area in which you live – whichever is the lower.

It is also important to note that bridges, culverts, and retaining walls that support the home or insured land are covered for indemnity value. This means the valuation takes into account their age and state of repair.

To lodge a claim complete the form here.

Page last updated: 13 Mar 2017

Translated material: